NRA Basic Pistol Course 2019
The goal of this course is to teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for owning and using a pistol safely.
Learning Objectives taught in this course will include:
- Pistol knowledge and safe gun handling (learn the principle parts of a pistol, types of pistols actions, how firearms function, the rules of safe gun handling and how to handle a pistol in a safe manner)
- Ammunition knowledge and the fundamentals of pistol shooting (learn about components of a pistol cartridge, the firing sequence of a cartridge, how to identify and store ammunition, major types of cartridge malfunctions, and learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting)
- Shooting positions and shooting qualification (learn basic shooting positions and complete the live fire course qualification, aka range time)
- Scoring targets and selecting and maintaining your pistol (learn to score a pistol target, the guidelines for selecting/purchasing a pistol, and how to clean a pistol)
- Continued opportunities for skill development (identify ways to pursue pistol shooting and complete the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Written Exam
Americans enjoy a right that citizens of many other countries do not - the right to own firearms. But with this rights comes responsibilities. It is the gun owner's responsibility to soter, operate and maintain his or her firearms safely. It is the gun owner's responsibility to ensure that unauthorized or untrained individuals cannot gain access to his or her firearms. And it is the gun owner's responsisbilty to learn and obey all applicable laws that pertain to the purchase, possession and use of a firearm in his or her locale. Guns are neither safe nor unsafe by themselves. When gun owners learn and practice responsible gun ownership, guns are safe.